Followers

Thursday, October 14, 2010

World War Z


Good Morning Indigene Readers! Sorry, for my absence I am on the road, but as promised at least some new posts!

What does every good road trip need? An equally good book! And what better book to take along for the ride than Max Brooks' World War Z. I have already read through this amazing work of zombie fiction, but decided to take it for another spin quite literally.  

If you don't know about World War Z, this piece along with The Walking Dead graphic novel series, probably have established themselves as the hands down, no contest cannon of Zombie Literature.  World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War is a collection of personal fictional accounts of a zombie apocalypse that has devastated the world. Extremely intelligent in his writing, Max Brooks not only satisfies the gore that any zombie head is looking for, but carefully constructs scenarios that seem complete plausible if the Zombie Apocalypse were to ever happen. From government responses, to even issues of black market survival opportunities; Max Brooks figures our how zombies play into all of these things.  

If you have never read this book, stop what you're doing and go...read this... NOW.

I leave you with a sample of the awesomeness that is World War Z, enjoy:

[A former soldier describes the Battle at Yonkers, NY ] "We could have stopped them, we should have, one guy with a rifle, that's all you need, right? Professional soldiers, trained marksmen... how could they get through? They still ask that, critics and armchair Pattons who weren't there.  You think it's that simple? You think that after being 'trained' to aim for the center mass for your whole military career you can suddenly make an expert headshot everytime? You think in that strait-jacket and suffocation hood it's easy to recharge a clip or clear a weapon jam? You think that after watching all the wonders of modern warfare flat on their high-tech hyper ass, that after already living through three months of the Great Panic and watching everything you knew as reality be eaten alive by an enemy that wasn't even supposed to exist that you're gonna keep a cool fucking head and a steady fucking trigger finger?" - World War Z

28 comments:

  1. Zombies. Watch Class of Nuke Em High!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've read it before. its awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa, gotta get on this book right away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've actually read this. not a bad read at all... the game was shit though, lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read "The Zombie Survival Guide", I'll have to read this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. C'mon, audiobook about zombies? how original...

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks good ill have to check it out

    ReplyDelete
  8. The audiobook was really quite awesome. If you can find a copy (it's around) I recommended listening to it, just for the cast, " Alan Alda, Mark Hamill, Henry Rollins, Rob and Carl Reiner, John Turturro, and many more."

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGzFaENzhf8

    I don't know if the whole of it is on youtube, but there is a start.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book. Very well written and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wanted to read this when I first heard about it, but forgot about it lol - thanks for the suggestion, adding to my amazon wishlist for later ^^

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet! I will definitely have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this book is good I have read it then lent it to my dad and now its all ripped up I need to buy a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I need to get my hands on this, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just got the e-book now dude thank you

    ReplyDelete
  16. gotta make a movie of it.. and not butcher it! ;]

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks cool. A must read! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm downloading the ebook right now

    ReplyDelete
  19. Read it a couple times. Great book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. ive wanted to read this for a long time

    ReplyDelete
  21. Guys, seriously, all of you...

    Don't EVER rely on zombie survival guide or world war Z for firearms and survival information. It's flawed, mistaken and wrong in many ways, it's only for fun. I've never facepalmed so hard like the time I read Zombie survival guide's section in weapons and the like.

    If you really want to be prepared for things (zombies are kinda impossible...) go get yourself the SAS survival guide and go shoot some guns at a range, and forget all that you've been "taught" by fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Don't get me wrong though, all those zombie things are often entertaining. But they're ONLY entertainment.

    ReplyDelete