Followers

Monday, October 4, 2010

The Colony

This past weekend I finally caught up with The Colony season 2 and the final episode. Although absent of any horror themes or zombies, The Colony actually details many of the experiences someone might face in a post-apocalyptic situation.  This has been probably my favorite show the past two months.

If you have never seen an episode or even heard of this series, Discovery Channel pits a group of "survivors" in a post-catastrophe survival simulation.  The setting of this season had the survivors dumped off in a still abandoned area of the New Orleans Ninth Ward.  They are dropped off under the premise that a disease has infected the global community and that they are to survive until rescue comes.  They must survive and protect themselves by whatever they can scavenge in the surrounding abandoned neighborhoods.

You might be thinking, "Oh, we've seen this before. No one dies or gets seriously threatened." Which to some extent is true, but from what I could tell they actually really roughed it out there and were as close to a simulation as one could reasonably get.  Even to the point of getting into physical altercations with other survivor groups sent in as part of the experiment to test their security. 

Most impressive was the groups ability to recreate essential tools we take for granted in everyday life.  For example, the group built a humongous windmill that they placed atop their house that turned an alternator from a scavenged engine that was then used to charge car batteries to power tools and lights. How awesome is that?  If you were stuck in a post-apocalyptic situation, could you fathom an idea like that or have the skillset to create such a contraption? I know I can't.

Check it out if you get the chance on reruns or online.  You might have to dig around online, but they're out there.

You might find some tips that might be useful in any zombie outbreak or post-apocalyptic situation!!

41 comments:

  1. good thing I visited your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a neat show, I'll give it a shot sometime if I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds pretty cool, I might need to check it out, though I'm not much for reality shows

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched Season Two because I enjoyed the first one. I still think a lot more of it is scripted than we think, and some of the volunteers are actors.
    I just pretend that they are role-playing and it's much smoother for me. I also enjoy what they have to say about their isolation and hunger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post !

    following & supporting you.
    take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just watched the entire first season, loved it. I will be starting the second season shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i see previews for it, but havent gotten a chance to see it yet

    ReplyDelete
  8. zombies are so funny - like in that one movie with with bill somebody...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing show, I need to see the whole thing. Only saw the last episode this past weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey cool post im gonna look for this show!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm I havnt heard of this but thanks! now I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like an awesome show. definitely going to have to check it out

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sadly there are way to many shows to watch, and this is one I would like to see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not seen this before, will check it out

    ReplyDelete
  15. yeah if theres ever a zombie outbreak im getting on a boat and getting the hell out of here lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. i watched the first season didnt hear about the second season , i dont have tv , thanks for the update

    ReplyDelete
  17. the colony is soo dumb, its a great idea but looks stupid

    ReplyDelete
  18. tought i was the only one that watched that show, saw like 3 or 4 from season 1 and really enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well everyone would still die in the end, so..

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's good to see that you're beating inertia today :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Never heard of this show. Sounds like an interesting premise but I can't stand the fake reality stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks good.. might have to check it out

    ReplyDelete
  23. I find a lot of things in those shows aren't completely true and could get you hurt/killed in a post-apocalyptic situation...

    I'll stick with my SAS Survival Handbook.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been meaning to check out this show, thanks for reminding me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never seen this show. Is it good? I've heard its ok

    ReplyDelete
  26. Never got a chance to watch this, but I think I'll have to now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You've got some good creativity in this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  28. omg i've heard about this show but never had a chance to check it out, I always imagined it like Fallout IRL lol

    ReplyDelete
  29. the show always seemed so fake to me :( i could never enjoy it. new show coming out on abc soon about zombies though. should check it out. can't quite remember what it's called though

    ReplyDelete
  30. I heard about this show, but never got around to watching it.

    I just don't see how it could appear to be realistic in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This seems kinda cool actually :P

    ReplyDelete
  32. so, kindof like minecraft? :DP jk :P

    ReplyDelete