Followers

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Obama Miracle

Here is a little story about how Barack Obama performed a miracle today and made a small difference in my life.

Last night, Sherman Alexie had been the keynote speaker for MLK day at Dartmouth. The Native students had been invited to have breakfast with him the next morning. The next day I also had a paper do for a class due soon after the breakfast. After his keynote address which ended kind of late I rushed back to my room to start my paper. Needless to say, I thought I had the paper planned out in my head (bad habit, but thats usually how I roll). Anyways, midway through the night my paper was struggling. I realized my argument made no sense, and made the decision to start from scratch. I would rather write it correctly, rather than deliver and incorrect awful paper.

However, by this time it was too late. I ended up pulling an all-nighter and was still writing right up to my breakfast appointment with Alexie! I was devastated. It came down to getting a good grade (which I need), or breaking bread with the Man himself! I was so utterly disappointed and decided I needed to finish my paper. Its funny to think about now.

With about 15 minutes to go before breakfast, my professor blitzes the class saying: "Class Cancelled. I'd rather have you guys enjoy the day and watch the innaguration than preparing for class. And your papers are due thursday".

I think i squeeled with glee. I ran and jumped in the shower and ran over to meet with Sherman Alexie. Thank you Barack Obama. You performed a miracle today and allowed me to meet one of the greatest authors of our time, and watch you become the first Black President.

Oh yeah, and thanks for the extension. You saved my ass. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment